Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Simple Joy of the Garter Stitch Scarf

I have a wonderful yellow cabled sweater that I adore.  I enjoyed knitting it, sliding the stitch markers as I followed the pattern repeat and carefully working with my cable needle to create a masterpiece.  I wear my sweater with pride and receive plenty of compliments when I take it out for a spin.  I’ve made sweaters, skirts, dresses and toys for my children.  The patterns range from relatively easy to complex and from patterns I’ve written myself to patterns pulled from my favorite books, magazines and on-line sources.  As much as I enjoy these projects, I always have a simple garter stitch scarf on a set of my knitting needles.  It is the project I can throw in my purse and take anywhere.  Never too bulky to take out and about with me, the scarf never requires me to remember what stitch should come next or what row I have just completed.  It doesn’t require a pattern, my adored stitch markers or paper and pen to keep track of my progress.  It doesn’t require a great deal or sometimes any thought at all to click off the stitches.  One size fits all; it is gender neutral (color of course may change this), and everyone can use one.  If you are like many knitters the garter stitch scarf is likely the first project you completed; it may be how you learned to knit.  By changing the yarn, width and length you have almost limitless possibilities in your finished product. Almost of all of my family members and friends have received or will receive a simple garter stitch scarf from me as a gift at some point.  While I enjoy the challenges a new complex pattern presents and enjoy the challenge of learning new knitting techniques, the garter stitch scarf will always have a special place in my heart and on my knitting needles. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm the lucky recipient of one of your garter stitch scarfs, in lovely pink and gray. It reminds me of a 1950s poodle skirt. It was my favorite teacher gift last Christmas. Keep on knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Glad you liked it! You are one of our favorite all time teachers!

    ReplyDelete