I eventually found a blog with instructions and photos of the desired look I hoped for in my doll hair. The Waldorf Doll Hair Tutorial (http://starrysheep.com/crafty/?p=103) saved poor MaryJayne from a life of bad hair days. I'm not saying I have mastered any of the techniques necessary for doll hair, but I learned enough through trial and error to produce a couple of cute dos if I do say so myself.
The method I opted for as outlined in the blog mentioned above didn't require that I stitch row after row of hair across the back of the head to keep the doll's head from being bald. (I did try that method and found it very time consuming and the poor doll's head was so heavy with so much hair it sagged.) Some of the methods I couldn't even follow. My method of choice required that I simply stitched down layer one and then added a top layer to create the "style." Tomorrow I will have step-by-step instructions on the technique.